Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 starts with a...bang?


Good Morning Everyone! Happy New Year! I hope you all had a great week! I can't believe its 2011! I think I fell asleep around 11:00 New Year's Eve! Too much excitement I guess!
This week has been such an amazing week. The first of the week started out pretty funny. We went over to a member's house to meet before they took us out to dinner. They opened the door and invited us in out of the rain. So we walk in and seriously I felt like I was in a movie. I look to the left…zebra head, twenty deer heads, a moose, a karaboo, elephant tusks, walking down the hall with animals looking at me. So I kinda just run into the living room to sit by the fireplace! Then I walk over this rug to get there and the guy goes “Be careful that’s alpaca skin”! I was just like get me out of here and then on the way out he takes us to their room and theres a stuffed cougar on the bed. Ya - it was pretty funny, they are such great people! We had a really good dinner with them but it was just hilarious walking in there.


This week we were really stressed because we have been struggling to find new investigators in the new ward that we are covering! We had been praying all week that we could find peole to teach over there. One of the days I had prayed to know where we should go and as clear as day I thought of the street "Dogwood" but I didn’t think anything of it because I just thought I thinking of the campsite at home! So later we were looking over the map and there was a Dogwood street! I was just in shock so we went over there to go tracting. We tracted for three hours and didn’t find anyone. So on Tuesday I went on exchanges with Elder Deines and we were walking down the street and I noticed that Dogwood contiued over to the other side of the road, so we went knocking there! We found five potential investigators on that street! It was truly amazing. I have realized that we should do everything in prayer. We can be lead by the spirit in all things! I never used the power of the spirit enough! It's going to be such a great thing to know a family to work with later on.



The major highlight of the week was Gerald and Lucy's baptism! At first Gerald and Lucy didn’t want to invite the ward because Lucy is shy! But on Wednesday they called and left a message saying that they had prayed about it and decided that they wanted everyone to come and feel the Spirit there. That was so exciting to see again how much they have changed - they are just so happy I love it!


So Friday comes and we are so ready! We headed over to the church at 3 to start filling the font! We were both - Elder Twingstrom and myself - so excited we couldn’t sit still. Gerald and Lucy showed up at 5:15 - 45 minutes early! They were so excited and nervous! Gerald showed up in his new suit and they were both just smiling from ear to ear. As the baptismal service began I don’t remember ever feeling the Spirit so strong! I just knew that our Father in Heaven was looking down and smiling at them for their decision to follow Him. A lady in the Issaquah first ward sang Amazing Grace before they were baptized! It was just amazing the Spirit that came into the room. It is such a powerful song! And then it was time for the baptism! I was so nervous to baptize Lucy because I had never done it before! To watch Lucy as I lifted her out of the water and the smile on her face, it’s a memory that I will never forget! The Spirit that I felt that day was just amazing. They truly are so happy for their decision and I am so grateful that the Lord placed me here at this time to be a part of their lives! After the baptism, we were walking out of the church and Gerald and Lucy say, "we are heading back down the driveway Mormons"! They are so funny. We walked over to the Temple with them and shared a lesson on the importance of the temple. They can't wait to be sealed together! It was such a great thing to see them hear about the temple. On Sunday we confirmed them members of the Church and after I leaned over to Lucy and explained that on fast Sundays we bear our testimonys, so if you feel the Spirit prompting you to get up you can head up! Her face was just like "nope" never happening! Then she got up! Gerald just gasped and goes “Woah look at that”! We were just in shock! She is amazing and is so happy. Lucy is having her daughter come to church next week and it will be great to see what happens!
I love this gospel with all of my heart and I am so proud to be out here sharing it with everyone! I love you all, and hope this year that you can all make it a goal to help friends and family know of the gospel! No effort is ever wasted! Miss you all and be safe! Elder Aiken.

1 comment:

  1. Brock, you are such an inspiration! I am so grateful that I thought to check out your blog today, it has been so uplifting to read. The people that you are working with are so blessed to have you there! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete