Monday, November 7, 2011

Light and Life!


     My dear friends and family! I love you and hope that life is well! My heart is touched so deeply by this past week. I just love this life and this opportunity to serve. My Father in Heaven has blessed me so richly.  I am truly forever indebted to Him!
     It's been one of those weeks that I will never forget. This young family we are teaching in the Tiger Mountain Ward has changed my life forever.  I just love them so much.  The day we knocked on Lisa's door, there was this strong feeling that I knew her before. I had never felt something like that before.  Lisa had seen us the previous day knocking up the street and said she hoped she would be home when we knocked on her door. The days following meeting this family I just couldn’t get them off of my mind, they were just so great.  Everyday I would say to Elder Berry, “I swear I knew Lisa before this life.” So Wednesday we went to teach Lisa and Mike. Lisa said “I have to tell you something weird. When I first met my husband Mike 10 years ago, it was odd, it felt like I had known him all my life. I would constantly ask him where we met before. I had never had something like that happen before or since! But then I met you guys, and I just have the strongest feeling I knew you before! But there is just no way I could have seen you before.” I just tried so hard not to cry when I explained my side of the story.  The bishop was there at the meeting and then he said, "Let me tell my side of the story.  Elder Aiken got transferred to a different part of the mission. And then he got transferred back. Leslie, I know that Elder Aiken was sent back to teach your family.”  The spirit was so strong in the room. I will never forget when President Larkin texted me after I found out I was getting transferred back to Issaquah, he said, "A voice from heaven declared that you should return…” 
     I am grateful for a God that knows each of us individually. God is a God of miracles. He is in charge of everyting and knows us all so personally. I have come to get a slight taste of that on my mission. This family is the most beautiful family I have ever met. Lisa is just loving to learn about the gospel, she said she finally feels like she is home! Her husband Mike is starting to sit in on the discussions and came to church on Sunday with her and the kids! It was amazing to see them there. Lisa is on date for baptism on the 19th and we are so excited!
     I just hope you all know how much I love God. I know He is there. I have learned that we can only succeed in this life to our full potential as we rely on Him.  I am a weak and simple man, but God has helped me become strong. There is not greater joy than sharing the gospel. We run from person to person, praying that God will lead us to the lost souls searching for Him. God truly places us where we are for a reason. Everything is planned.  It's amazing as we begin to open our mouths and share the gospel, the people that God has placed right next to us that yearn for the truth. We are all just clay in His hands, instruments in the amazing work of the Almighty God. 
     I know that faith, repentance, and baptism are essential! They prepare us to return to God again! Lets not have any empty seats in the Eternities. God has the richest blessings awaiting us, as long as we keep the commandments. I know that following the commandments is THE only way to happiness. I hope you know how much I love you all! I thank you for your prayers. You will never, ever know how much they mean to me! They heal and lift my soul. Speaking of Christ, Abinadi said in Mosiah 16:9: "He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless..."
     I bear testimony that I know light does exist, and it truly is endless.  Only we can hide the light and only we can see the light.  I end, praying that we can all rely more on the light in our lives and turn to it always, as it will guide our way back to Him!
     Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Aiken

Cleaning the pigeon cage!

No comments:

Post a Comment