Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas!


     HELLO EVERYONE!!! What a wonderful week it has been!  This is my absolute favorite time of year for me.  I count down the months until Christmas.  It's truly such a happy time.  And there is no better place to be enjoying Christmas this year, than here in the mission field. The spirit is so strong here at this time of year, our Savior is much closer to our hearts.
     It's been another great week of miracles. The Lord is definitely preparing the people in miraculous ways. We are going to have a great baptism this weekend! Chris and Emily. They are from a part member family and I have been trying to teach them since last December! They are the most wonderful family! The teaching process was hard at first, they are both young teenagers and in that great stage of life - haha. God has softened their hearts and prepared this absolutely amazing miracle. They can't wait to be baptized and are so looking forward to this Friday. We are so happy. 
     We had a really tender miracle on Tuesday with a woman named Alicia!  I tracted into her last year.  In fact I looked in the area book and I tracted into her last Christmas Eve morning. We were planning last week and her name popped in my mind, and we knew we should go back. She answered with the biggest smile. She said, “I am busy but can you come back, I am ready to learn more!” So we came back this week. She said, “I don’t mean this in a rude way, but I haven't met an unhappy Mormon family.”  Of course we took no offense! For a time she has been wondering about that and began to see the mormon.org campaign around the city. It’s a miracle! She is so looking forward to learning more about this great gospel.
     I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. How blessed we are to know Christ. I have been thinking a lot this week about who He is, and why I love Him so much.  I love a verse in 3 Nephi 10:6. “….how oft will I gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, if ye will but repent and return unto me with full purpose of heart.”  How oft he truly does gather us under His wings. I look back with tears in my life, and see His ever reaching hand. Where would we be without his sacrifice? And without His love? I wouldn’t be where I am today. 
     Alma 7:12, holds so much meaning to me. “…and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may now according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.”  He had never felt those pains before in His life.  He didn’t have to.  But he did so because he wanted to learn how to run to our aid.  And how to better learn to run to our aid, than to suffer as we would. Sin, pains, sadness, and all have been felt by our Savior.  And at this time as we celebrate His name, how much do we have to celebrate! Through Him, and because of Him our families can be together forever! And we can see the ones we love again. And although our sins may be as scarlet they may be white as snow.  For all He has done, He asks very little. He has given us all, shouldn’t we follow in his ways? 
     John 15, is my favorite section of the bible. And I want to share a few verses, beginning in verse 10.  “If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you….”.  This season, as well as at all times, He has chosen us! To succor us and to be there for us.  He is the true reason for the season and the light in my life. 
     Coming here, I have come to realize that I want to spend my life in His service. He is the Master of our lives, if we will just turn to His will.  How blessed we are to read of Him and know of him. The greatest blessing in my life is to feel of His love. I have felt it every day since stepping off that plane.  It's as if He hasn’t left my side, but walks side by side with me.  I have seen Him save the lives of people we teach, and help them find their way.  Christ is the constant pillar, a pillar that will take us back to God.  As families. Forever.  Is there a more rich blessing than to know that He will be there our every breath of this life! And all he wants is our joy and for us to be truly happy. 
     There is a poem I want to end this letter with today. It's touched my soul forever!  It's called “He’s Been There Before.” It has to do with missionary work, but it applies to all. After a struggling missionary pleads for His saviors help, he hears the Savior's voice:

Your mission is similar to what happened to me.
I understand how you feel; I know what youre going through;
In fact, it would be fair to say I felt the same as you.
I even know how you felt when no one listened to you.
At times I felt not quite sure what else I could do.
I know you don’t like to bike for you a car would be sweet.
Just remember the donkey I rode wasn’t equipped with 21 speeds.
I understand you don’t like sweating. In fact, its somerthing you hate.
When I sweat blood from every pore, oh, the agony was great.
I see you don’t like your companion-you'd rather have someone else;
I remember my companion Judas. He sold my life for wealth.
It's hard to wear a helmet and have people make fun of you.
Much like when they put thorns in my head and called me King of Jews.
So you feel burdnened down by the weight of your pack.
I recall how heavy the cross was when they slammed it on my back.
Your hands hurt from tracting and knocking doors all day.
I guess when they pounded nails through mine; they ached in a similar way…
It's hard not to hear from home, when youre family is not there to see;
I lost communication on the cross and cried, “Father, why hast thou forsaken me?”
We have a lot in common, but there's a difference between us you see,
I endured to the end and finished my mission, so follow and do like me.
No matter what we go through, when we feel we can take no more,
Just stop and think about our Beloved Brother Jesus Christ.
He's been there before.

     My dear family and friends, what a time of year to celebrate our Savior and Redeemer, even Jesus Christ.  I would be nowhere without His suffering, without the atonement! We would all be lost. I thank God for Him daily. I bear testimony that I know He lives! It's our time in this life, to give back.  To show God our gratitude for sending His only begotten Son! Charity is the way, it's that kind of love that Christ has shown for us. I love you all!!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!  Be safe and know that I love you and appreciate you more than you know!!

Elder Aiken

No comments:

Post a Comment