Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snow day!


HUGE SNOW STORM HITS SEATTLE!

     Good morning everyone!  I hope that everyone is well! This past week was a week of miracles! I love this work, it's the greatest thing that we can ever be a part of! 
     My heart is full as I relive the past week. I bear my witness that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of all. His suffering and death, the Atonement, is the most powerful thing we can come to comprehend. I have felt the guiding grace of His love in my life, He lives! He died and suffered all that we will in this life, it's no wonder he fights so strongly for us. How simple it is just to turn to him so he can guide our way.
    I have often wondered why God has blessed me to stay in this area for so long, but truly it’s the greatest blessing I could have imagined. For the past year I have been getting my haircut at the same place in downtown Issaquah. Tori somehow is always there when we go in on Preparation Day to get our hair cut. We have talked a lot about the gospel and how it could bless her life. Well this past Monday was a day of miracles! Elder Berry was getting his haircut and I was waiting in the sitting area. She came and sat by me so we talked for a bit. She then said, “I think the church is true, how do I get baptized?” Next thing I know we are going over the baptismal interview questions. It was a miracle to see that God has been softening her heart. Over the past few months she found out that her grandpa was a Bishop before he passed away! A true miracle.  
     I love these scriptures from Mormon chapter 9: “For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing? And now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then have ye imagined up unto yourselves a god who is not a God of miracles. But behold, I will show unto you a God of miracles, even the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and it is that same God who created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are… And now, O all ye that have imagined up unto yourselves a god who can do no miracles, I would ask of you, have all these things passed, of which I have spoken? Has the end come yet? Behold I say unto you, Nay; and God has not ceased to be a God of miracles. Behold, are not the things that God hath wrought marvelous in our eyes? Yea, and who can comprehend the marvelous works of God? Who shall say that it was not a miracle that by his word the heaven and the earth should be; and by the power of his word man was created of the dust of the earth; and by the power of his word have miracles been wrought? And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty miracles? And there were many mighty miracles wrought by the hands of the apostles. And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles. And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust. Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth."
We referred Tori to the missionaries in her area and she is now working towards being baptized next month!
     This week we were able to get back in with a woman named Carol that we taught awhile back and have been trying to get back in with her for weeks. This week we finally got back in. She is an amazing lady with grown children that has been searching for the truth all her life. She has been struggling with many little things, mainly that she doesn’t know if the miracles in her life are from God or from another source. She decided that she wanted to come on a church tour with us the following day. We left her with a promise that if she came with a question on her mind , that as we pondered the spirit in the chapel, God would answer that question. So we did just that. We took her on a brief tour of the church and then proceeded to the chapel. As we sat there, the spirit was so special. We said that we would then just sit for a minute or two in silence, to ponder the feelings of that special room. We all must recognize the feeling that exists in a chapel, it is where the spirit of God dwells. We must use that time each Sunday to learn of Him, put aside the world, and build our testimony. After the quiet moment we asked Carol what thoughts came to her mind. She paused for quite some time and then said, “The question I have been wondering for months, is why do you all keep coming by? Are these miracles of God or just coincidence. As I sat by her I heard the voice of Christ say, "Carol, I have sent these people in your path." I will never forget that day. Mosiah 4:9 reads “Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.” Carol has been wondering for months if Christ really exists. Each of us in life must continually nourish our testimony, when we continue to seek God, he will teach us.
     Vickie, once hard-hearted, saying that she would never quit smoking or drinking, has completely changed. I know that God is a God of miracles. We are just in awe as her heart continues to change. We went over this week and had an amazing lesson! She is going to be baptized on February 4th! We went over this Sunday to get all of her coffee.  She said, “I want you to come with a bag and take it all away!” So that we did! When we showed up she said, “You are going to need a bigger bag!” Just then she unplugs the whole coffee machine and chucks it in our bag. She is done with her past and wants to change. It's amazing what the spirit can do. She said, “I have always wanted to get closer to Christ in my life, I have always wanted to follow Him. I just want to be closer to Him.” Every day we go by, her smile brightens and widens! GOD LIVES!  He loves us and will bless us as we follow Him. 
     Another miracle in her life occurred after church. While in Sunday school with her we were talking about the Godhead. Coming from a Catholic background she was really confused to say the least. The teacher then asked what she was concerned about. She said, “I don’t believe what you all believe, but that’s ok!” Haha, we were really worried. When we went by that evening she said, “I believe that now.” Our mouths must have hit the floor. “I came home, and said to my son, "Can you believe what they told me in class?" He then said to me, "Yeah that’s true mom! Open up the bible!" Coming from a son that doesn’t believe in God, even he was able to help Vickie along this amazing journey.
     The final experience that I would like to share is one that I won't ever forget. I will cherish this moment for all of my life. When I was first called to be a Zone Leader here in Bellevue South, there was a missionary that would never follow what we had to say. Anything we felt inspired to say, he just went the opposite direction. It was really hard to say the least. I prayed and prayed many nights, pleading that God would soften his heart. That he would be filled with charity towards us and that we could also be filled with charity further. One day we saw him at a zone meeting he wasn’t the same person. He came up with the biggest smile, “Elder Aiken you’re the man, thanks for all you do.” I worried it might be a fluke but for the past month he has been the most kind and loving missionary I have ever met! He runs and leads all of the missionaries around him. He had a dream one night that changed his life forever, and he called and apologized and committed to serve to the end of his mission with no regrets! Soon after, he was called to be a trainer! One of the greatest days of my life. This week we had a leadership training and he drove with us in our car. On the way back we played a CD speaking about Christ, tears filled our eyes as we all contemplated our Savior. After we got back to the church to meet up with all of the trainers missionaries, he ran to me and gave me a hug. We both wept as we hugged for about 2 minutes. It was as if God opened our souls, it felt like God was with us. I will never, in my life forget that feeling. He has become one of my best friends. I love this Elder. We couldn’t be more different, he is Polynesian….twice my size and plays rugby. But through the church of God, through charity we have become eternal friends. This experience has truly changed my life forever. 
     God lives, Christ has restored a way for us to return back to Him. I feel like I got a glimpse of what God must feel when we wonder astray and we take a turn and come back. His arms are ALWAYS OPEN!!  We can all be the change the world needs. Let Zion in her beauty rise!
     I testify that I know that God is God of miracles. He truly is the same, yesterday, today and forever!! He leads this work, He will guide us in every footstep if we will just believe. This life isn't about being worried and concerned! We must believe in God and the He is!! I love you! 


     We are snowed in, a huge storm has hit! Church ended early and people were running out the doors! It’s a whole different ballgame when it snows here. The work is much more fun when people are told not to go into work! It’s a time of miracles. Just believe. I love you all! Have a great week.

Love,
Elder Aiken


1 comment:

  1. Elder Aiken, the Lord is so merciful! It's wonderful to hear your stories and to feel the spirit reconfirm and testify to my heart that what you see and speak is true. What a good work you are doing. Keep it up... you are on the way to return with honor! Much love and prayers continue your way- Heather

    ReplyDelete