Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30, 2012


     HELLO, GOOD MORNING, AND HAPPY LAST FEW DAYS OF JANUARY! I hope that all is well. This past week has been absolutely wonderful, the hand of the Lord is ever-present in this work. What a joy it is to see the Gospel of Jesus Christ change the lives of these people. This week has again been full of miracles, full of the Spirit of the Lord. I love this work. I am honored to be a part of this noble cause, to preach the gospel unto the ends of the earth.
     The Castro family is doing very well! I love them with all of my heart. I love to see the spirit change inside the homes of those that learn of this gospel. This week we taught the Word of Wisdom and Sister Castro said, “I used to drink 9 cups of coffee a day, but last week for some reason I just decided to stop. So I have been drinking only one cup, and today I forgot to.” What a miracle.  She also said, “I think it's unfair that the kids get an extra class during the week (Scouts and Young Womens), can I have an extra class too?”  They have been prepared from the beginning. Now at a humbled time in their life, they are ready to accept the restored gospel.
     Vickie is also doing great. My life has forever been touched by this woman. She is so full of charity. Vickie has had a very rough life. For years she was married to a husband that abused her daily, and had a horrible time. This week as we taught her, the spirit filled the room. Tears welled in my eyes, as I look at this sweet sister, striving to do right, but so hurt by life and its bruises. She cried as she said the closing prayer, begging God that he would heal her from this pain. This cute woman spends her days volunteering at the food bank, helping those she feels are more in need than her. I cry thinking of this woman, so valiant in her service before God despite life's challenges. A foundation in Christ, never, ever faileth!
     My heart overflows this week with the power of the Book of Mormon. I just finished it yet again this past week, and I am forever grateful. These men who spent so much time, and effort writing those pages, wrote so that one day we could be converted unto the Lord. I wish I would have spent my youth, diving into its pages more. For in it, we draw near unto God. We learn of Him, we learn of Christ! And who they really are! My heart has been most touched by the importance and power of Charity. Forgetting, “What's in it for me?” As we forget about ourselves, we become one with God. His spirit, His guidance can dwell within us. We live in a world that pulls our focus inward. How am I better than this person? We live in a world that mocks righteousness. That mocks charity. The Book of Mormon re-centers our focus, back to what matters most. The happiness and joy of others. In Moroni 10:21 it reads, “Except ye have charity ye can in nowise be saved in the kingdom of God…” Despite all that we have done in this life, except we have charity, except we have the pure love of Christ, except we have purified ourselves from the world, we cannot return to live with God. It's my prayer that we can all, strive with all our souls to gain that charity, for in it lies true happiness. Gossiping, back biting, and hatred have no place in the kingdom of God. I LOVE YOU ALL, IT’S A TIME OF MIRACLES!  Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Aiken

2 comments:

  1. I need a tissue! That was beyond sweet! I still love our boys! And I can never use enough exclamation points to let you know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet! Yes - I too love our boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete