Monday, March 12, 2012

Unbroken!

     Gooood Morning Everyone!!! I hope life is well! This was a week of miracles. I will never, ever forget it! I just testify to you all, and to all the world that Jesus truly is The Christ, and that God lives. He lives today and speaks today, just as much now as he did in the days of Adam. I have felt so close to Him this week, more than I have in all my life.  
     Yesterday we had Stake Conference, and I will never forget the feeling in that room. We sat on the front row with our investigators, and I couldn’t hold back tears as I looked at this Stake that has become so near to my heart. I will never be the same, I will never look at God the same. They have taught me so much, and I thank God everyday that I was sent to this part of the vineyard. It's tough here sometimes! Everyone knows our religion, knows how to try to twist our words. Many of the “mega” churches around the area have whole Sunday meetings and special exposes about the “mormons”. Never in my life has my faith been more tested and tried. BUT NEVER IN MY LIFE HAS MY TESTIMONY BURNED MORE BRIGHT! There is a God above, through reading and praying about the Book of Mormon your life will change! It’s a fact! One that I can't disprove. I have watched it change lives, from every background! This is the truth, and how blessed we are to have it.
     This week I have pondered a lot on the importance of following the Prophet. When I was younger, if I had missed the Prophet speak during conference, I would always ask what new things the Prophet had told us. Do we have to give up energy drinks? We often lose sight of how the Prophet speaks. He doesn’t speak by giving us lists. Neither did Christ. They will share stories or things they feel impressed to share, and that’s when we must listen close. We have been studying in the Doctrine and Covenants about the saints, and why they were never able to achieve Zion. As you read you quickly realize they weren't exactly obedient to the Prophet and the leaders of the church. They were selectively obedient. They were the best people of our time, yet they didn’t understand how to listen. The Lord loves us, and will let us fail. We must fail! That’s the only way we will ever learn. 
     I love to read of the sections about the Saints and how we can learn from them. In D&C 1:38 it reads….”What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.”  I think often we can hear ourselves say, “Oh the Bishop doesn’t know what he is talking about” or “Oh he just doesn’t understand.” Well they do understand and they do know. All of our leaders are called of God to lead us. Rarely will the Lord let them lead us astray. We must understand that this is an eternal principle. Until we become obedient and truly follow the Prophet the Lord can't bless us! He just can't. If he does we will spend our lives being 50%ers! And the Lord doesn’t want that. This past week I have refelected a lot upon the meaning of following the Prophet, or simply any leader the Lord has given us. I have thought “What has the Lord asked us to do as missionaries through our Mission President?” What is the Prophetic priority? This week as I have zoned in on that, my mission has changed! The blessings of heaven and been with us more fully than ever! 
     Six months ago we tracted into a man named Jordan. Right when he opened the door, I felt that I just had known him all my life. It was like I had seen my best friend, that I hadn't seen in years! Sadly I got transferred away the next day. Soon after he was passed off to the singles ward, where he quit coming. On Tuesday we got a referral from mormon.org! HE REFERRED HIMSELF!!! On Thursday we met with Jordan, and we pratically ran to each other. My heart is so full. The Lord in his infinite wisdom and mercy let us all unite again. As we shared a message with him he said, “Last year I felt something I had never felt before. It just stuck with me. I have never been able to find that elsewhere, and I have been searching for it ever since. Now that I sit here, I feel home. I feel complete.” Jordan has begun attending a local college, where a classmate had the courage to speak up. His classmate is a member of the Singles Ward on campus, and told him he needed to meet with the missionaries again. Jordan will be baptized next weekend. When we met again on Saturday, he had the whole Book of Mormon marked with all of his favorite scriptures! I love this work. We will be eternal friends, and I can't wait to see him grow and flourish in the gospel!
     We had another amazing miracle on Thursday! One year ago we tracted into Diana. She had just moved from Idaho to get away from the church. Family members had recently been baptized, and when a job popped up out here she was gone! Two weeks after she moved in we had a prompting we should go by! She was blown away she was found by the missionaries and said she would NEVER get baptized! Well slowly she began to come to church, and soon she had a firm testimony of the Book of Mormon! Diana told us she wants to get baptized on Easter Weekend! What a miracle! I love this church, and the transforming power of the Book of Mormon!
     On Friday we spent part of the day on an exchange. I spent that night with a Elder Ziolkowski. On our way home to the apartment that night we had a prompting we should go by a potential investigator. A man answered the door and said, "Monica isn't here, and if you are the Mormons, I am not interested." A prompting overcame me that I should bear my testimony, and that I did. He began to cry. He said, “I just lost my mom, and nephew. My wife and son last year, and just lost my home. I am alone. And I don’t know where to turn.” I began to cry. How sad it was to see my brother, lost and alone searching for God. Leroy said he would do anything to be close to God again. Leroy is on date for baptism next month. With the Atonement we can always be 'left unbroken.' Let that be your focus, to rely on Christ and always be 'left unbroken.'
     Finally, yesterday I was able to give Gerald Anderson the Melchizedec Priesthood, and ordain him to the office of Elder. This moment was a tender one. President Larkin happened to be in the building and we all were able to be in the circle together. Elder Twingstrom and I baptized Gerald and Lucy last year, and the Lord allowed me to stay here long enough to see them go through the temple! They go through this Saturday! We are pleased to have been allowed to attend! I can't wait. I love you all! Be safe. Know that God is a God of Miracles. And always will be.

Love,
Elder Aiken

No comments:

Post a Comment