Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Transfer/Conference weekend!





     Hello my dear family and friends. I love you all so much. What a wonderful week it has been. This was transfer week, and I'm so happy that I'm staying here in Issaquah!  There are few things that touch my heart more than from hearing from the Lord's chosen servants, our beloved Prophet and Apostles. The words that they speak touched my heart and soul and I am forever grateful. 





     There were many things that touched my heart but there were two talks that I loved and the two things I would like to share today.  
     Elder Dallin H. Oaks talked a lot about our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. That talk to me was the most touching part of conference. Too often in this crazy world we forget the importance and significance of Christ.  Imagine the guilt that we would all carry, the hopelessness we would feel, and the down right fear we would all hold without Him.  It's amazing to imagine a God that loves us dearly enough to send his Son Jesus Christ to die for us and carry all of our burdens. The Atonement is real and so powerful. I must say that I am forever grateful for the Atonement in my life and the healing it has brought me.  It's amazing the number of times I have felt the Savior's loving hand lift me up in time of need. 
     I remember so many times being sick and exhausted and wondering if I could walk another step and a rush of relief would come over me, taking that from me to allow me to continue onward!  I loved this quote from Elder Oaks said, “He is our Creator. He is the Light of the World. He is our Savior from sin and death. This is the most important knowledge on earth, and you can know this for yourself.”  And we all can!  We all can have this wonderful knowledge, but we must act.  As in all things, this first takes our effort!  We must have faith enough to reach out to Him and truly get to know Him. 
     The other talk that really touched my heart was the talk from Elder Scott on the scriptures.  It took until my mission to truly understand the power they contain. I have yet to be able to open up the scriptures and not feel an overwhelming feeling of peace, and the spirit of God come over me. The pages are waiting for all of us to open, to ponder and read!  Every person that has been baptized quickly, for the most part, wanted to be baptized right away because of the feeling they got as they prayed about that book!  That’s why the church grows the way it does!  The Book of Mormon is tangible evidence of Christ's restored church!  Elder Scott said, “The scriptures provide the strength of authority to our declarations when they are cited correctly. They can become stalwart friends that are not limited by geography or calendar. They are always available when needed.  Their use provides a foundation of truth that can be awakened by the Holy Ghost.  Learning, pondering, searching, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world.” And that is so true!  We must draw near unto them and they will draw near unto us and guide us all our lives.


Skylar's baptism!



         Skylar was baptized this weekend.  I will never forget that day!  The spirit in that baptism was different than anything that I have ever experienced, it was as if the very angels of heaven sat there with us that day.  Skylar is from an inactive family, and they all came!  God testified to them and us all that He lives and loves us all, no matter what.  I love this gospel and what it has done for Skylar. The young women all sang to her and welcomed her to the ward.  God has sent so many valiant people into this church. This week was a touching one, I love this work, and this life. I love you all so much.


Elder Aiken

No comments:

Post a Comment