Monday, April 16, 2012

Steady the feeble hands!

     Hello everyone!!! Good afternoon. This week has been marvelous.  I feel that God's power has guided us to many mighty miracles. This is the greatest of all work. It has captured my heart and soul and will forever be my passion in life! This life is the time for us to prepare to meet God, and help others around us do the same! 
     As a missionary I plead with God each night that I may be lead to bring my brothers and sisters home. I yearn for each day to slow down, as time seems to be going at a speed much quicker than my mind can comprehend. This is the work of Salvation! The work of saving souls! How great is this work.
     I have been reading and studying the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon the last few days and its power and spirit burns within my soul. The words that are spoken are powerful and uplifting! Alma and Amulek travel amongst the Nephites for the first few chapters, spreading the gospel and preaching the truth! Their service was long, exhausting and hard. I can only fathom the work they did. After that leg of service we read this in Alma 15: “Now as I said, Alma having seen all these things, therefore he took Amulek and came over to the land of Zarahemla, and took him to his own house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in the Lord.”  This verse strikes my soul. Alma must have wanted to rest and relax for days, but he took time to “minister unto".  I plead with my Father in Heaven that someday I may have that same charity, that love for my fellow beings. 
     Friday evening I had a powerful experience, one that has touched my heart forever. I was on an exchange with one of our District leaders, and after a long day running from place to place, we returned home to plan for the next day. After planning, my body yearned for rest, there were many things that needed to be updated and completed by nights end, but something burned within me. I felt strongly that it was my turn to “minister unto”.  The next ten minutes we had a powerful gospel discussion that turned into a marvelous spiritual feast, as the Elder I was with expressed his frustrations. That one prompting turned into a night of spiritual power. We like Alma must remember that there is always someone to “minister unto”. 
     Often after a long days work, or a frustrating day, we cry for rest or for our own pleasures. Does Christ, in our moment of trial say, I'll just wait til im done with this movie? No. He spent His life in selfless service. In this lies true joy. The joy of serving our own pleasures will only last a brief moment, but losing ourselves in the service of God brings lasting jot. We, as sons and daughters of God, must be united with His spirit! To take time to follow its tender promptings, and then follow! It's our time to lift up the weary and strengthen the fold no matter how tired we may be! It's our time to be disciples of Christ! For isn't that why we are here?
     Briefly before I go there is a powerful experience I wish to share! The morning after that discussion with that Elder I was with, we headed out for a new day! I felt a strong prompting to go visit a few people that we had not planned on seeing the previous night, but the people weren't home. A bit frustrated, we kept running and ran to our next appointment, only to find that person wasn’t home either. As we were running back to the car, off in the distance we saw a man and woman playing with their dog in the park, so we ran over the hill and down to where they were. We asked if they were religious. He quickly said, “No!”, and she replied “Yes.” Our attention turned to her as she began to walk closer to us. She said “I want to speak with you! I know that you have been sent by God, and I want to learn more.” We bore a brief testimony of God's love for her, and His ability to place her in our path! She then said with tears running down her face, “The world is coming to and end isn't it? I know it is! And I don’t want to miss out.” My heart was filled with joy! How much God loved her, and answered the questions of this woman's soul! God lives and loves each of us! He will guide us to strengthen those around us. She soon will be passed off to be taught by the Sister Missionaries where she lives. Oh the glory and mercy of God! He is in charge. We need not doubt nor fear.
     My dear brothers and sisters! “Shall we not go on in so great a cause….”  The natural man truly is an enemy to God, as King Benjamin tells us in the Book of Mormon! We have been given a body to fight that off, and learn to control our spirits. The natural man is focused inward! On me, me, me! Our lives often become bogged down by the wiles of this world! We are busy that’s true. But there are feeble hands to steady, smiles to create, and days to brighten. How glad I am this day for a loving Father in Heaven who never lets me down. I will serve Him all my days. For in His service, have I become truly happy. It’s the day and time to make a change in this world! To go forward and not backward. This is the work of the Lord, and I testify that He lives. I love you all. Be safe!

Love,
Elder Aiken

No comments:

Post a Comment