Monday, April 23, 2012

The great power of HOPE!


     Dear friends and family, and to all of you that I love! I hope that you have had an absolutely wonderful and powerful week! God lives and is truly present in our lives. I am so deeply grateful for His love for each of us.
     My time is short on here today, but I must share an experience that I won't soon forget. A truly memorable moment for me in my life. On Saturday, I was out in May Valley with one of our District leaders. That morning we had just taught a less-active woman. We left the doorstep and ran around to each home in the neighborhood! People were everywhere (that happens when the sun comes out in Washington…you don’t stay inside) so we ran from person to person spreading the gospel. After talking  with one woman, out of the corner of my eye, down a long muddy road I saw a man standing in his yard. The house was a well worn, and his face matched it well. As we walked to him he made a couple of jokes our way, and soon after, we heard footsteps walking towards us.  Then a voice said, “I'll listen.” She walked us to the corner of the yard, where tears quickly filled her eyes. My dear friends, I have never seen a more sad face in all my life. She wept as she talked about her life. Her four year old son had just been taken by CPS for the second time. She was lost. Raised in a home with a mother who used drugs all her life, and siblings that were traveling down the same road. She grew up in a world without hope and was headed towards destruction. We taught her of God's love for her, and that through THIS message, hope would come. That soon her son could possibly be back in her arms and that she could soon be free from this horrible addiction. 
     I never in all my life have felt so much love for a soul. Such a longing to help and heal her. I am not capable of that, but I realized something that morning. We often travel down horrible paths, but we need not lose hope! Christ broke the sadness of doubt and blinding despair! There is always hope in the Atonement of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Soon, the once prideful and haughty man, walked towards us.  With tears in her eyes the woman said to him, "you're next!" We taught them both that they truly could be free from sin! They both beamed with joy and asked what needed to be done. What a great plan! To know that through baptism they can be cleansed! And they will be cleansed. They are striving as a couple to be baptized on the 17th of May.
     I know that there is a Savior and Redeemer of this world. Satan will fill us with doubt and try to get us to think that all is lost! BUT IT IS NOT!  I testify that each of us can gain greater hope in each day through the Atoning blood of Christ. I love you all BE SAFE  and love each day, and fill it with the eternal hope of Christ!

Love,
Elder Aiken

1 comment: