Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Charity Never Faileth!


Back with Elder Lindeman!

     My dear friends and family! It’s a pleasure to write to you today. My heart is full and my feelings are tender today, as I have been transferred.  I never thought I could have such a capacity to love the people of Issaquah. They are eternal friends. That city captured my heart, and I can't wait to return. My life was changed forever there, and I will never be the same man. The Lord blessed me deeply by allowing me to stay there for so long. I will truly miss those people, a part of my heart will forever remain there. I am SO excited for the upcoming transfer! I have been transferred to the Federal Way Stake, the only other place I've been. I guess it’s the Lords plan for me to return over and over again! Elder Lindeman is again my companion, we will be serving as the Zone Leaders here. I guess it’s the Lords plan for me to return to old companions over again as well! It's great and I love it. This will be a truly wonderful adventure.
     Yesterday as I said goodbye to some of those who were recently baptized, my heart was filled with joy! It's absolutely amazing to see the mountains they have climbed and been able to overcome. We taught Vickie on Friday and to feel of her spirit was just overwhelming. Vickie is the essence of giving, and giving all. As we showed up to her house, she had containers of food all over the counters. I asked what they were all for, and she replied, “I talked to Deanna today, she fell down and can't cook for herself (Deanna is an investigator we are teaching), so made a bunch of food she can heat up in the microwave, she has no one to cook for her!” She had probably ten meals lining the counter tops all ready to take to a woman in need. She then brought out some pajama pants and asked our opinon she said, “I met a man at the foodbank (she volunteers there a few times a week) and a man came in with diseased legs that make them swell immensely, so I got him these pajamas so he has clothes to wear that will fit, do you think these would fit?” I stood in awe as she shared her plans for the coming week, and the people she planned on helping. Vickie, a widow with very little income, spends every waking moment in the service of others. I will never forget her baptism. We asked her on Friday what baptism did for her. She said, “I have never been happier in all my life. As I came out of the water it was like this big weight lifted off of me. I used to be a grouchy old grandma, but now I am as happy as I could be.” She calls us MULTIPLE times a week with friends she wants us to teach and people she wants to bring to church. She is a pioneer to me, paving the way to bring happiness to every soul she meets. These people forever have a place in my heart. I will miss that great place of Issaquah. It’s the best!
     Vickie shared a few things with us that have inspired me ever since. I realized the deeply powerful influence that the Holy Ghost can have apon us. This life is personally tailored to us, with its many valleys and hills. Each meant to refine us in their own way. Those trials come whether we like them or not, but we can choose how we fair them. As we live our lives to be directed and comforted by the spirit, we can be lead through each trial. Coming through the other side a little more “polished”. 
     God, because He is truly is our loving Father in Heaven, has given us a special gift to help us through this “refining process” here on earth. The gift of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is the rope that we can hold steadfastly to along this journey, with Christ at the lead. As long as we stay true to the path, and allow the spirit to be with us, all will be well! God's spirit will be with us to guide us and direct us along the way. I am touched and amazed at God's plan for us. All He wants is our happiness. All he asks is for us to follow Him, and He will lead us home. I testify today that God lives. We must all live our lives to receive the rich blessings of the Holy Ghost. God will never leave us alone, no not ever. I testify that the trials in life do end! Just hold strong and stay true. Remember that there are people all around us struggling just the same. It's our choice whether we lend a helping hand, or let them travel alone. Joy flows in our lives by serving others, just as Vickie has shown me. 
     I love you all! Be safe, make a change in the life of your neighbors this week!

Love,
Elder Aiken

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this!? What interesting transfers Elder Aiken has! It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete