Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

     Hello everyone!!  Time is flying by almost too fast out here, it doesn’t seem real!!! 
     This week was one of ups and downs but a great one at that!  My testimony has grown so much this week.  My heart has been deeply touched at the blessing it is to see lives change. It gives us time to contemplate our own testimonies and the role they play in our lives. 
     This week was a busy one with a few five hour training days but they were so uplifting!  We have been blessed with an amazing Mission President who has blessed my life dearly.  Natalie was supposed to be baptized on Saturday but it has been moved to this weekend.  On Wednesday while I was at the meeting I got a text from my companion saying that Natalie had texted our phone saying she had decided that she wasn’t going to be baptized.  My heart sank.  I just wanted to run out of the meeting and knock on her door!  I couldn’t get out fast enough.  Once we got home from the meeting we hurried over to her house.  When she answered the door her face was full of sadness and confusion.  As we sat at the dinner table she poured out her concerns and the reasons why she felt she shouldn’t be baptized.  For a moment I lost all hope as her testimony seemed to have taken a 180. We paused for a moment and asked how have you come to know these things are true?  I will never, ever forget the spirit that entered that room. As tears fell from her eyes, we all bore testimony of the truth she already knew.  She said “Satan is doing all he can to stop me.”  It was amazing all of the things that Satan had put into her mind.  He has done all he can to stop this special family from being baptized. We asked Natalie if we could leave that night with a kneeling prayer. As Brandon, Josh, Natalie, our fellowship, Elder Berry, and I knelt, the spirit was just burning.  Natalie said the most hearfelt prayer that I have ever heard, that God would continue guiding and helping her and Josh towards baptism!! As we got back up she said “ I finally am excited!” And we sat and planned the whole baptism! It was amazing to enter her home and see her face as it was filled with sorrow and to watch the spirit change her demeanor to a bright smile.  I will never forget that night as long I live. The Holy Ghost is real, and the light of Christ is given to each of us to know the truth before we enter baptism! 
     On Thursday during our morning studies we got a text from Natalie saying, “I can't be baptized, I just can’t.”  I have never felt that kind of saddness before. We have developed a sincere love for this family, they feel like my own.  She said I need space to decide on my own!  So on Friday after the next set of meetings we felt impressed to stop by her house but there was no answer.  So we biked out to our tracting spot which was 25 minutes away.  As we got to the top of the hill and began to pray where we should go tracting we both looked at each other in the middle of the prayer “Natalie!!!”  We booked it back down the hill and across the valler to her apartment! Again there was no answer.  We walked next to the building and it was Elder Berry’s turn to pray and I said this is weird but pray that God will send her home. When we said "amen", Natalie pulled in.  She was so excited to see us and we just had such an amazing lesson. The night after the amazing lesson we had she had horrible nightmares about joining the church!  So we decided that we were going to start a fast with her!  She was so excited!  Much of the ward fasted with us.  As we were about to start the fast Josh, who will also be baptized walked in the room and asked what we were doing! We explained we were going to fast.  He asked if he could too!! It was amazing! As we fasted with her on Sunday we were in shock.  Every single person bore their testimony on one of her concerns!  My life was touched forever.  The faith of a young boy and his mom was built so deeply this Sunday as they saw the powers of heaven influence the members of the ward. The power in fasting is real.  The Lord knows each and everyone of us and as we are willing to sacrifice for an answer we are struggling with He will touch us! I know this church is true with all of my heart! I know that God lives and answers our prayers.  Every time.  
     Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women who have helped me in my life - especially my mom!  I love you all - Elder Aiken.

No comments:

Post a Comment